Industrial furniture made of recycled steel
SUSTAINABLE DESIGN. Inredningsrör, a company in the Swedish province of Dalarna, designs furniture made from water pipes in 99 percent recycled steel. A fun hobby developed into a popular online shop when founder Johan Lindberg discovered an enormous demand for furniture made of pipe parts. The company designed the award-winning outdoor shower Mora Garden in partnership with Mora Armatur.
Johan Lindberg, a former firefighter, got the idea for making furniture from pipe sections when he was renovating an old house. He wanted to furnish the house in an industrial, rustic style. As he already had experience of carpentry, it wasn’t long before he began making his own furniture from old water pipes.
In 2016 he started an online shop as an experiment, and the first order arrived in less than a week. He realised there was clearly a demand for his style.
– I wanted to make it easy for others to create and build their own furniture and to order pipe parts. Our parts can be used to build anything you like. The only limit is your imagination, says Johan.
Sustainability was one of the key concepts from the outset. Inredningsrör uses recycled material that can be reused to make new furniture. It’s easy to screw the furniture apart and build something new. The company also avoids using plastic, plants trees for each product sold and offsets carbon emissions through Klimathjälpen Sverige.
– People often ask about our approach to sustainability, and it’s great that so many are concerned about the environment. There’s a big interest in recycling and reuse of old products, and conscious consumerism is widespread today, says Johan.
Mora Garden adds outdoor appeal
After designing indoor furniture, Johan moved on to creating garden furniture. The Mora Garden outdoor shower was born and he started collaborating with Mora Armatur. The shower was a major hit when featured on the TV programme Sommar med Ernst.
– Once you’ve brought these pipes into your home, you start wanting more, and I saw a gap in the market for industrial garden furniture. Mora Garden has a distinctive style with naked pipe sections that create a raw, industrial feel. It makes an attractive feature in the garden all year round, Johan says.
Two years later, the outdoor shower won the Elle Decoration Design Award and gained huge publicity. The collection is being expanded with taps and hanging rails, which are perfect for outdoor summer kitchens. In the current situation when people are spending more time at home, there’s a lot of interest in home styling and interior design. An outdoor kitchen makes it even nicer to take a holiday at home.
The collaboration between Inredningsrör and Mora Armatur continues, and there are many ideas for developing the Mora Garden concept further.
– Our partnership has been highly professional from the outset. As a small business owner, I find it fascinating and valuable to work with and learn from a well-established company like Mora Armatur. And it’s particularly fun to collaborate with a company that’s local to Mora, says Johan.
Please share this news
- Team Formex enters Stockholm city centre with exhibits, pop up-shop and an agenda packed with seminars
- Swedish stars in Late Night Concerts
- A new Forest Dry Gin – with a taste of Norrbotten’s forests
- Greta Thunberg film to world première at Venice 2020
- A sports movement for everyone against homo-, bi- and transphobia